With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I figured it was a good time to make a little something to make the table (that I made) even prettier, while being functional. I’ve wanted a table riser for quite sometime. No time like the present to make one!
We happened to have this split log in the shed since we moved in. I don’t know where it came from, but it intrigued me. It has a rounded bottom, so I wasn’t sure it would work, but between my husband and myself, we figured it out!
First, we cut off the ends to neaten them up using my circular saw. I sanded the whole thing with our mini electric sander. I didn’t want to lose much of the bark on the rounded side, though, so I went light there.
Since the bottom is uneven, we did this in an unscientific way. We evenly spaced the blocks, then placed the board (round side down) on top of them, then very carefully glued them, one at a time, making sure it was level. Then we waited while they dried.
My husband attached them each with two extra long screws. And it worked.
All that was left was to brush on a clear coat of varnish.
Now it is ready to hold platters of food, or decorations, or anything we want! I can’t wait to use it.