Welcome, if you are here from the Cali Fabrics Blog! And Welcome back to everyone else! As you may know, my family and I are headed to the local ComicCon in about a week, and of course, that means I made our costumes. We are going as the royal family from the movie Brave. You can see The Bee’s Merida costume here. I finally talked my husband into doing a Fergus cosplay. It was a bear of a costume. heh.
I didn’t realize how many fiddly little components there were, until I started to make it. My favorite, though is his bear cape.
Cali Fabrics supplied me with this incredible Black Mongolian Faux Fur, that I knew would be perfect. You can read more about it over on my post on the Cali Fabrics Blog. The only thing I did to it, was add a chain to connect both sides. Done and done.
That brooch was made from a yogurt container lid that I cut the center out of and painted. The stick that fastens it is a wooden chopstick painted the same color. I’d say, that component was the most difficult to troubleshoot. I went through all the viable materials, in my head, until I came up with good ol plastic lids (which we seem to never run out of).
The sporran and sash were made with this dark brown distressed leather look fabric, which Cali Fabrics also provided me with, and sewed up quite nicely. It is more of a grey, in real life, though. Nonetheless, it sewed up like buttah.
The kilt fabric, I found on Etsy from Fabric LA. It was shipped super quickly and arrived in perfect condition, faster than I anticipated. To make it into a kilt (or a faux kilt) I followed this fantastic youtube tutorial. I forgot to photograph the back, so you’ll have to trust me. It is pleated nicely.
Jim made the belt buckle by taking the base of a banana holder, and sawing off parts. Then he connected it to a weightlifting belt, and put it on backward. After these photos, I actually stained it a darker color, and like it even better.
The tunic is a piece of leather someone gifted me on the Buy Nothing Project! It is ideal for this project! I punched holes in it along each side, and then cut a thin strip of leather to lace it up with. No sewing required. And The Bee actually knitted the chainmail. I thought about making real chainmail (for about 30 seconds), and then quickly came to my senses.
The helmet is a kid’s viking helmet we found thrifting, and the hair is just orange yarn, teased and hot glued on. It is my husband’s least favorite component of this costume. Without it, I think he looks like he belongs on the Game of Thrones (which, honestly, he would like so much better).
FInally, the peg leg. Cheese Louise, that one was tricky. In the end, I took a stocking, cut it into a tube, slid it on his leg, then stuffed it randomly with batting.
My husband plans on shaving his beard like Fergus, but he is waiting for the actual day. He doesn’t have as much padding as the character, but I think people will get the gist. He’s “lean” Fergus.
I can’t wait to share my costume with you, but I suppose I should finish it first (YIKES)! Wish me luck! I will share what I made our Falafel, this week. It may give you a giggle. It certainly does for me.
**Even though I recieved some of the components for this costume, as always, my opinions are mine, mine, mine.