The Caroline Party dress for our niece

Before our relatives got here last week, I made a dress for our niece. She turned 8 on her trip here, and I wanted to make it extra special for her. And what makes you feel more special than a brand new dress?!

kainoadress10m

I had Falafel model it for me. It is a little big on her. She is my tiny 8 year old.

kainoadressback2m

Oh goodness I love this pattern. I used my favorite (like here and here) Caroline Party Dress by Mouse House Creations (affiliate link).

kainoadress4m

I did a fancy embroidered topstitching on the hem to mimic the heavy black topstitching I did on the sash.

kainoabeltm

I had yards of that gorgeous black and white heavier cotton fabric (from you-know-who) that I have been waiting to use. Paired with that dusty rose bed sheet, I am swooning.

kainoadressm

My girl loved it, but it was just a tad too big.

kainoadressdramam

Oh what to do? What to do?

kainoadress9m

Give it to the Birthday Girl, of course!

dresskainm

Isn’t she just beautiful?

dresskainoa2m

And that dress fits her like it was made for her. Funny how that happens, huh?

dresskainoa5m

That is one happy child!

What have YOU made today?

12 Thoughts on “The Caroline Party dress for our niece

1. Kristi Andres on July 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm said:

Oh, I love it and it looks perfect on her. The necklace makes the outfit. nicely done! Yesterday I worked all afternoon to make a pair of W pants (well shorts, actually) for Abby because she does not want elastic waist (she’s almost 10 :)) shorts like the other kids. So she got some with green zippers and green floral pockets and green topstitching. (can you guess her new favorite color?!?!). I might blog about them soon. we started swim lessons this week and an 8:45am start time is killing me!!

2. Kristi Andres on July 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

Oh, any tips on an easy woven maxi dress? I have some ideas and a couple breezy woven fabrics… but I can’t decide what to make. I need to decide soon or summer will be over!

• For you or the kids?
      I would just lengthen your favorite pattern! This one worked like that for Falafel.

• Kristi Andres on July 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

for me… most of my favorite dresses are knits, but I have a couple of fabrics that are soft flow-y wovens and I really want a maxi… I just can’t decide what to do. I think i’m going to do a little internet surfing! :)

• Find a good fitting bodice, and then lengthen the skirt!
          I think if you have the women’s Caroline, it would be perfect!

• Kristi Andres on July 14, 2014 at 8:55 pm said:

I don’t have that one… but looking at it it is similar to the dirndl one in Sew U-dresses… (which I have). I might go with that or a raglan minus sleeves with ties at the shoulders. so many choices, that’s why I haven’t made it yet!

• I say you make them all! LOL

3. Anika on July 14, 2014 at 6:52 pm said:

K look’s like a little princess in this dress. So beautiful!!

4. Scary on July 14, 2014 at 10:02 pm said:

Beautiful. I love the fabric that you used. She is a cutie. What a lucky duck to have a sewing aunt.

5. they both look so beautiful and happy with the dress. well done.