Oakshott Tote Challenge

I was chosen to participate in the Oakshott Tote challenge by Kristin of Sew Mama Sew.

She sent me a pack of Oakshott Lipari to work with. *swoon*

This fabric is beyond dreamy. I may have stroked it a bit before deciding what to sew. Gah. It is THAT pretty.

I really thought out my design before jumping in. I knew I wanted a triangle shaped pocket on the front and a circle cut-out (like this) on the back.

I drafted a pattern and got hoppin’. This is what I made.

oakshottprettym

I wanted to really show off the beautiful fabrics, so I kept the patchwork simple. I used so many of the colors because I love them all. There is this beautiful muted metallic sheen to them that I just want to drape myself in. And the weight of the fabric is quite lovely to work with too.

oakshottpocketm

I made the piping out of two different greens in the pack, to really highlight the edges of that triangle pocket.

oakshott5colorsm

These are the colors I used for the front.

oakshottbackm

And these I used for the back.

oakshott2m

Here’s a closeup of that circle. It reminds me of a penny that is half new and half worn.

oakshottstrapsm

I used four different colors for the straps. And there is a pocket inside, on the lining.

oakshottclose2m

Huge thanks to Sew Mama Sew and Oakshott Fabrics for including me.

Check out the other challengers:

Teresa of Dandelion Drift

Anjeanette Klinder

Jennifer of Sewplicity

Megan of Monkey Beans

Erin of Seamstress Erin

70 Thoughts on “Oakshott Tote Challenge

1. Kristi Andres on April 26, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

wow really cool! I’m a particular fan of the rainbow pocket… that’s really cool. I might have to put that on a hoodie for Becka or something (rainbow is her favorite color I’ve been told!)
    I made a leather bag yesterday. it turned out pretty good. I did a wrap around pocket from one side to the other and handles kind of the same way too. it was a kind of boxy bag with stiffener on the bottom and sides. lots of CRAZY fun to sew!! :) let’s just say dinner time trip last night to JoAnn’s for a leather needle. now I know why you need those!

• Thanks! I think my favorite color is also rainbow! LOL I love that.
      Oooh yours sounds nice.
      Yes. Leather needles go with leather. Absolutely! We all learn the hard way. Ha!

2. Linda Fleming on April 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm said:

Your bag is a work of art and your photos show off the fabrics so beautifully!

3. Great bag Michelle! i loved the pocket!

4. Teresa on May 2, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

Wowza, such gorgeous colors! I’m especially in love with Canneto, just from the picture alone. I sure hope and pray I can get my hands on some of this fabric line!!

5. Buffy on May 2, 2014 at 6:52 am said:

GREAT bag!!! The colors are so delicious…this fabric is new to me and seeing it makes me want to make 100 things from it!!

• Thanks Buffy! ME TOO. Oh my goodness. When it arrived, I instantly imagined all the outfits I could make from it…and my husband even requested a bow tie out of one of them!!

6. Michele T on May 2, 2014 at 7:50 am said:

Oooh! Your bag is amazing I love all the design features… very creative and clever!! Thanks for sharing!

7. april on May 2, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Totally rad. Love the pocket!

8. Susan K in Texas on May 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm said:

Beautiful bag! I love how you did the pockets. There are a lot of details in this bag that make it special. I like how you used so many of the colors. I like when a lot of Oakshott fabrics are used together.

9. Mandi on May 2, 2014 at 2:24 pm said:

Great bag! I like the triangular pocket.

10. Jan on May 2, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

Love your bag and all the features ~ especially that front pocket! Love the iridescent look of the oakshot too!

11. Ella on May 2, 2014 at 3:55 pm said:

That pocket is amazing!

12. Barbara L on May 2, 2014 at 4:03 pm said:

All of the bags in this series are simply beautiful – Oakshott did their research on who to invite.

Your bag hit it out the ball park – your creativity and attention to detail is simply amazing. Stunning bag ! Have fun swishing into a restaurant with this on your arm. I would notice it !

• Oh Barbara- your comment made me smile! That is so thoughtful and lovely to say.
      I never thought of taking it out to a restaurant! I may just have to now:)

13. Julie D on May 3, 2014 at 7:21 am said:

The piping and pockets are wonderful. thanks for the inspiration

14. Quilting Tangent on May 3, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Pretty bag, nice colors.

15. Jeanie K. on May 3, 2014 at 3:17 pm said:

Wow! Love it!

16. Sandy K on May 3, 2014 at 9:14 pm said:

Lovely bag. I like your design and triangle pocket. Thanks for sharing.

17. Vicki H on May 3, 2014 at 9:15 pm said:

I love the piping on your bag. It really sets the pockets nicely.

18. Pingback: Oakshott Lipari Patchwork Tote Challenge + Giveaway ~ Michelle from Falafel and the Bee | Sew Mama Sew |

19. Lovely bag! You did the right thing in keeping the fabric pieces big, those Oakshott fabrics are so luxurious!

20. The colours in those fabrics are stunning!!! I love the simplicity of the design that shows every fabric so well.

21. what a gorgeous bag, the details really make it look so professional. I love that circle cut out and the triangle pockets

22. Marie Dejn Rasmussen on May 6, 2014 at 3:37 am said:

Fantastic deep colors, it would be nice to try them out in new projects.

23. This bag is just gorgeous!
    Would you share/sell your pattern?
    I echo everyone’s love of the fabrics. How fun to get to work with exciting new fabrics!

• Thanks Michelle! It was such a treat!
      Yes, I would totally share/sell my pattern.
      Let me think about how best to do that and I will get back to you!

24. Karen on May 6, 2014 at 4:37 am said:

Really love that front pocket!

25. lesley on May 6, 2014 at 5:31 am said:

this is just adorable – and there are SO many color schemes you could go with on this!

26. Really beautiful bag! You did a fantastic job. And the fabrics are stunning. (although I’m surprised to see an ad on the side of your blog asking if I want an Asian wife!! ACK! LOL)

27. I love all of the bags! But I especially like the first.

Beth

28. Kathleen McCormick on May 6, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

Fantastic use of the #oakshott cottons. Love the elegant simplicity of this design

29. Delaine on May 6, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

Beautiful! I love your tote! Thanks!

30. Michelle on May 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm said:

That fabric is beyond dreamy! I’m dying to get my hands on some. I love your tote!

31. Wow, this came out fabulously! I love the piping, and that you labelled the photos with the different colours. I admit, making bags daunt me, but to use such fantastic material msut make it all worth it!

32. Judy on May 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

Your bag is gorgeous! I love the triangle pocket with the piping and your arrangment of the fabric colors is perfect. I hope to purchase some Oakshott fabric soon as everyone who uses it seems to love it.

33. Afton on May 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm said:

You did a great job on this tote. I love the pocket.

34. This turned out great! I really want to make something with Oakshott!

35. Fabulous! I’d love to see you join us at the Inspire Us Thursday link party on The Inspired Wren.

36. Catherine rhodes on May 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm said:

Look like great fabrics to work with. I like the sheen to the fabric.

37. Bonnie on May 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

I love it! It looks like a fun challenge to work with.

38. Pingback: Lipari Totes | Shotthrough